Tuesday, April 26, 2011

MOMENTS

One of my all-time favorite quotes*, from the 1982 film Blade Runner:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate**. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.


We, each of us, are fragile vessels containing so many unique moments -- most of which will die with us.
I think this is often why we write, and read.  Why we love to tell stories, and love to hear them.

To keep a few of these moments from being washed away.

One of my moments:  A few years ago I mentioned this quote to my dad ... who surprised me by saying that he'd often had the same thought.

Tonight, without even realizing she was doing it, a friend of mine rescued another of my moments from wherever I'd misplaced it for the last thirty-odd years.

When I was in the fifth grade, we used to go to high school hockey games at our local skating rink in Littleton, Colorado.  I doubt I'd even remembered that a half-dozen times since I was old enough to shave.

Tonight, all of a sudden, I could smell the chilly air, taste the too-salty popcorn and the fizzy tang of Coca Cola and the paper (straw, or cup, I'm not sure which) I was drinking it through, or from.  Hear the clatter of skates and sticks and cheers echoing.  Feel the bleachers vibrate and shift beneath us.  Savor the fact that I was up past my usual weeknight bedtime, part of something big and exciting and almost-adult, happy and a little scared that one of these years before too long I'd be old enough to be out there on this same ice, skating for this same team***.  Anticipate the way my boots would squelch across the wet black rubber mats on the way out to our car in the even colder snowy parking lot.

And -- typical, even back then -- picture the book I had brought with me to read before the game and during the breaks in play:  Planet of the Apes, by Pierre Boulle.

Thanks, Melissa.

And thank you and Charles and Lynda and Jessica and Paloma and Brandy for following this blog!

Good night, everybody.  Back to Arizona -- and back to work on VANISHED -- tomorrow.

* And apparently I'm not the only one who likes it.  Turns out this quote has its own FaceBook page, which 313 people Like: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blade-Runners-Ive-seen-things-you-people-wouldnt-believe-speech/105090119528810

** I always thought he was saying -- and always pictured -- sea-beams:  Underwater beams of light.  And would have SWORN the Tanhauser Gate was a real place in ... Berlin? ... but: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannhauser_Gate.

***  Or not.  We moved back to Southern California the following year, and I haven't been to a hockey game since.  But now I'm thinking I'd like to go to one again sometime soon ...

No comments:

Post a Comment