Tuesday, May 3, 2011

ME AND TV

Hey again, everybody.

I actually did a fair bit of work on VANISHED today, this time tinkering with the Star of the Seine and Mainliner Vancouver chapters.  I also made a little more progress on updating my VANISHED-related email lists, so as to be able to invite more interested folks to this blog.  Plus a bunch of good personal-life stuff.  All in all, it's been a great day.

So now I'm about to give my poor tired laptop (and brain) a rest, and see how far into the "War of the Worlds" DVD I can get before bed.  This is the Tom Cruise / Dakota Fanning version, which I somehow managed to miss; looking forward to seeing how it compares to the book / old movie / radio broadcast.

First, though:  Me and TV.

I discovered several years ago that I'm mostly a passive TV watcher:  I'll watch whatever someone else has turned on, but hardly ever think to turn it on myself except to watch a DVD, or maybe the news.

Don't get me wrong, I like TV well enough (except for the how-badly-can-we-possibly-behave "reality" shows (which I'd so like to believe are really scripted, even though I know a lot of them aren't), and daytime commercials, which always make me feel like I should go out and get a job even when I'm watching them at work).  I just rarely am motivated enough to spontaneously watch it.

There have been a few exceptions:  DEAD LIKE ME; the first season or two of RESCUE ME; BATTLESTAR GALACTICA; BIG LOVE ... and most of those I've actually watched on DVD.  The only two shows I remembered to watch semi-consistently were GHOST HUNTERS (which I'd so like to believe isn't scripted, even though I have my doubts) and KINGS (which got canceled halfway through its first season - argh).

So when I moved -- and moved -- and moved -- last year, I didn't even think to keep a TV.  If I wanted to watch a DVD, I just laptopped it.

I finally broke down and bought the littlest, cheapest TV I could find a couple weeks ago (19 inches, which is probably as big as anything we had growing up -- but it looks tiny), when Sam was out on spring break, just so we wouldn't have to huddle around the laptop trying to both be able to see the screen without bonking heads when we watched TANGLED ...

Which is the best Disney movie I've seen in years, maybe ever, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet -- and I like most Disney movies.

... and because it's kind of nice to have an actual TV.

One of these days I may even get around to buying an antenna, or signing up for cable.  In the meantime, at least I can watch DVDs without having to worry about the picture freezing up, or the screen saver coming on.

Good night, everybody.  See you all tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment